FIN 200 Unit 2

Image Sequence

Image Sequence Analysis

Colour Palette:

The Colour palette for this sequence includes hues of light blue, dark blue, light and dark green as well as soft brown and black. This colour sequence beckons the vibrance and serenity of nature; the eloquent changes in colour and intensity in the hues almost reflect how nature can go from calm and serene to viscous and violent in the blink of an eye.

Negative Space:

The concept of negative space is highly insinuated by the 5th picture: The emptiness of the white null background to the dark shadows of the left pillar and the white and black void of the reflection in the water.

Depth:

The sense of scale and depth is highlighted greatly by image 3 in the sequence. The viewers eye follows logging roads that zig zag across the shadowed area that then climbs the mountainous hill that showcases the awe-inspiring summit of Victoria Peak.

Focal Point:

The focal point in image 2 is important for the rest of the sequence as it serves as a focal point for the other six images. The way the wave rises and falls almost mimics the motion of image 3, the ripples and wakes in the wave add texture to the focal point at the center which fades and falls into the next picture in the sequence

This Exercise was interesting in the way we had to create certain types on compositions that could be thematic in the way we were to group each image then describe the the elements that each image showcases.

Video Project:

Video Project Proposal

Proposal 1 Decay

The shot opens with a slow-motion high angle shot of leaves falling gently then abruptly the scene is reversed and the leaves float up above the camera’s viewpoint. The next scene is in a narrow bathroom, the faucet is seen running left unattended; multiple angles of the running faucet are quickly cut to repeatedly as the light to the bathroom keeps flicking on and off to the rhythmic ticks of the clock on the wall. After a few seconds of this repetition the colour of the water pouring from the faucet changes to a blood red substance, the scene ends with more blood red substance dripping and pouring down into the faucet.

Proposal 2 Abandoned

A sequence of point of view shots showing normal everyday object being neglected and thrown into storage I.E., a fridge, outdoor freezer, a drawer, a toolbox or a laundry basket as well as being thrown away I.E., a recycling bin or a trash bin. The overall theme is to be a sympathetic take on the objects we use then discard, the idea of giving a point of view to simple objects the moment they are discarded and neglected never to be used again.

Video Project Plus reflection and Intent:

For this project I started by recording the sounds of the bathroom clock, I put my phone right onto the clock and recorded it for 17 minutes for the right sound level to use in the song. I then used the clock as a metronome to get the right rhythm that I could play an acoustic riff that I had been working on off and on again for the last few weeks of November. I more or less scrambled together ideas during the first snowstorm of this year which inspired the somber melancholic tone that the song conveys heavily. Once the main structure of the song was completed I then instead of using my synthesizer for background ambience I turned to an old friend of a program called Audacity. I used an odd effect called paulstretch which basically stretches out the audio from 2 minutes to 17 minutes, I then searched the 17 minutes for ambience that I would normally use a synthesizer for. Once I found an agreeable section to put over the song, and almost magically It matched the song and even highlighted some of the notes I was playing.

My reason to use such a somber acoustic style song was to describe the tragic passing of my Father who left this earth on April 28th 2021, he left by his own accord. It was about 11 am and I had just woken up to use the shower; upon exiting the bathroom I found my mother waiting for me, she had something important to tell me. Her words echoed through my mind and heart, “You’re Father committed suicide” Those words hit me like a ton of bricks. My knees gave away immediately as I fell to the floor, for 5 or so minutes I was in denial of everything until the weight of the situation finally hit me an I cried like I had never have before. For the first time in my 25 years the house seemed Empty and cold but more than ever before it was quiet.

For the Video I tried to express the emotions I felt that day, the falling of the leaves represents me as I fell to the floor. The constant ticking of the clock as it echoed out of the bathroom into my ears as I lay there. The repeated cuts to different angles of the same shot as it changes from red to blue; Anger to Sorrow, life to death. To end the video I used a picture of our houses camera’s, one of the had a loose connection which in the middle of night seemed ominous and foreboding. I then used an effect to morph the Video loss into just loss. This project was very cathartic as well therapeutic, I got to express an event in my life that change my path forever. I had fun using Premiere pro as I feel its more user friendly than Vegas Pro 14, for the majority my time using it I found that guides on youtube to be more insightful than Linked In( I did not enjoy the whole layout of LinkedIn). Overall I wish the time constraint on this project was more lenient (2-5 minutes)

Unit 2 Tech Exercises